A recent Survey found that less than 3% of Companies are measuring all the dimensions of data quality! Those are things like Completeness, Accuracy, Validity...etc. In this 3.5-4hr class we'll identify existing definitions for the Dimensions of Data Quality (DAMA, ISO, Redman, English…etc.) and then identify the similarity and gaps in order to identify what a set of Conformed Dimensions of Data Quality look like.
Then we’ll insert real-world examples of poor data quality using these Conformed Dimensions of Data Quality. These include business KPIs of importance, such as:
• Cost Impact- Poor Data Quality Leads to High Cost
• Sales/ Revenue Impact- Poor Data Quality Leads to Decreased Sales
• Customer Experience- Poor DQ Leads to Decreased Experience
With this conceptual basis, we then provide real-world datasets and data quality improvement techniques used by practitioners. Then we list 16 DQ improvement techniques from 5 categories.
Each includes an example and explanation for use.
1. Validation Techniques (3)
2. Completeness and Consistency Techniques (4)
3. Data Profiling Techniques (4)
4. Human Directed Audit Techniques (3)
5. Human Input Techniques (2)
Each attendee will receive a DQ technique to Conformed Dimension grid so that they can quickly identify candidate techniques for improvement after DQ issue identification.
- Groups of 5 paid attendees receive the 6th free.
- Registrations before February 17th will receive a free Conformed Dimensions Poster (one per organization).
The instructor of this class- Dan Myers (IQCP, MBA)- teaches his DQ Jump-start class internationally. Dan is the founding steward of the Conformed Dimensions of Data Quality and blogger at http://dimensionsofdataquality.com.
- Introduce the value of the Conformed Dimensions of Data Quality
- Underlying Concepts
- Example Metrics
- Explain available DQ detection, control, and improvement technics and associated dimensions of DQ
- Enable participants to build their own DQ rules and metrics faster and more consistently using reusable Underlying Concepts
- Hands on exercises include real data models and best practice DQ metrics created by the IQ International sponsored DQ Metrics working groups.
- Case studies come from four industries Manufacturing, Healthcare, Banking and Telecommunications but are applicable to many more.
- Case Studies include data profiling results and examples of other DQ control techniques.
- Participants are provided access to data, examples and templates used during the session, and are encouraged to reuse them afterwards.
- Data profiling results may be provided using various software tools in order to compare and contrast when/why to use a tool and desirable feature sets of widely used tools.
- 30% Conversational Lecture-geared to quickly provide information and answer questions
- 20% Review of examples and practice communicating DQ issues
- 30% Hands-on Application and Discussion of Conformed Dimensions’ DQ Metrics
- 20% Review of Real-world Data Profiling Results and Remediation Options
Course Locations and Dates:
- Brisbane Downtown, February 28th, 12pm-4:30pm
- Sydney, March 3rd, 12pm-4:30pm
- Melbourne, March 6th, 12pm-4:30pm
- AU $300 (Registrant's will be invoiced via email after registration)